Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Made Relish!


The only thing I have ever canned before is my Apple Butter, so this was a fun experiment. I just ran out of relish when my neighbor gave me 3 cucumbers. Then, the next day I got this VERY EASY recipe from a blog I follow! Perfect timing! :) I practically made about a fourth of the recipe, but it turned out great. I also used red peppers instead of green. It was perfect amount because I really only use relish on hot dogs and tuna sandwiches.

Sweet Pickle Relish
*Makes 4 pints 
  • 6-7 large unpeeled cucumbers (about 4 cups), diced
  • 2 medium green bell peppers (about 1 1/2 cups), diced
  • 2 heads celery (about 3 cups), diced
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 3 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups white vinegar
  • 1 tsp celery seed
  • 1 tsp mustard seed
Finely chop the veggies in a food processor for a couple of seconds, being careful not to grind them into a puree. Pour the veggies into a large bowl and add salt; cover with water and let stand for about 5 hours.
Drain well, pressing the mixture to remove all liquid.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Continue stirring until all of the sugar has dissolved. Add the vegetable mixture to the saucepan, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Pack into hot, sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Process for 10 minutes in a water bath canner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails