Friday, September 17, 2010

The Successful HouseKeeper from 1883 & more

The past few years we have been collecting old books. After my last find at The Bins, I had to share with you some of my favorites. Enjoy! These are very RARE and so fun to look through!

Below Reads:
"Embracing several thousand thoroughly tested and approved recipes, care and culture of children, birds and house plants; flower and window gardening, ect: with many valuable hints of home decoration."

I LOVE IT!!!
1883


The following page:
TO
Those Housewives
WHO DELIGHT
IN MAKING THE HOME A PLACE OF PEACE, COMFORT
AND ENJOYMENT,
THIS BOOK IS RESPECTFULLY DEDICATED.

Amen! :)

Better yet... THESE PICTURES WERE LEFT INSIDE!
What an insight to the time the book was written...
(CLICK on the PICTURE to make them larger)





This one I bought online from a Goodwill store several years ago. It was quoted in another book I was reading at the time and knew I wanted to find a copy. Thanks to the internet I could!



It is from 1912:
"DEDICATED
to 
ALL WOMEN
Who share with me the desire to accomplish
something for the uplift of humanity."

This book is truly amazing!! It is a little more geared to the Woman's Movement of the time and written from a personal account. From "Selecting a Mate, Motherhood, Child Training, A Woman of Forty, Hints for the Complexion"..ect :)


Last but NOT least...
I actually read about half of this book so far.. it gives a great perspective of 
American History from 1901 
which to seems a little more accurate!
And it is illustrated. :)



So we might just go to The Bins today.. I look forward to maybe finding more book treasures! I am reminded of the verse below. Thank you Lord!

Matthew Chapter 6: 19- 21
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails