Saturday, February 19, 2011

Nehemiah Bible Study Chp 9

Psalm 78:26-39

Brick by Brick
Memory Verse:  
"I will bless those who have humble and contrite hearts, who tremble at my word." Isaiah 66:2b

How precious chapter 9 of Nehemiah is too my heart!  God brought me to this chapter last year at the same time (I have 1/29/10 and now 1/29/11 written in my bible margins).  When ever this happens.. I make sure I am listening!  

Recorded as the longest prayer in the bible, the people of Israel reflect, confess, praise God,  and are "verbally declaring their dependence upon Him and acknowledging a new set of priorities they put down in writing, accompanied by their signatures (page 1)." Not forgetting to note, they were assembled with fasting and sackcloth. Nehemiah 9:3 says, "And they stood up in their place and read from the Book of the Law of the LORD their God for one-fourth of the day; and for anotherfourth they confessed and worshiped the LORD their God."  How healthy it is to set aside such time for the Lord. Our study asked what changes we would see in our own life with such devotion.  Can I spend at least one hour of my day with the Lord?  at least 10 minutes? I need to confess. I need to be open and cry out daily for his help.  Many people say, "Oh I don't know how you do it!" "You are such a good mom".  Dear friends, I can do nothing without the strength of my God!! Where do I find strength.. in His word. To him be the glory!  

Speaking of Gods power..
The prayer can be broken up in  five sections: The Exodus, Months at Sinai, Wilderness Wanderings, The Promise Land and Judges Through Exile.
The entirety of our night we read/discussed these questions regarding Nehemiah 9:   What did you observe about the character and nature of God?  What did you observe about the pride and foolishness of human beings?  What lesson can you take from your observation and apply to your Christian walk?  I encourage you to take a look and read through the chapter!

Here are a few snippets of what I observed:
God's Character~
our leader
he hears us
powerful
knows all 
sees all
protector
speaks to us
does not hide from us
sustainer
provider
creator
giver of life
deliverer
abundant in mercy
slow to anger

Pride and Foolishness of Human Beings~
complain so quickly
proud
quick to fear
unthankful
quick to fret
disobedient
rebellious
murderers
evil
backslide
sin without care

"Our fathers in Egypt did not understand Your wonders;
They did not remember the multitude of Your mercies, 
But rebelled by the sea—the Red Sea.  
Nevertheless He saved them for His name’s sake, That He might make 
His mighty power known." Psalm 106:7-8

 "But they sinned even more against Him
By rebelling against the Most High in the wilderness.
 And they tested God in their heart
By asking for the food of their fancy." Psalm 78:17-18

May I remember His goodness and ALL He has done for me.  I need to trust God will light my path when there are so many unknowns and I must not give up in trials. By choice I can rejoice and praise Him.  I don't want to forget his works or act hastily without His counsel.. God has promised to never leave or forsake me. I CAN smile at the future. He will provide and take care of all our needs.  May my heart be steadfast!! Even after so many blessing my heart can rebel so quickly and sin!! I must not be proud and think I have it all together.  I praise God for who He is and the new creation he has made me in Christ. Daily I want to confess, be thankful and praise Him who has given me more than I could ever ask!





LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails