Sunday, March 27, 2011

Our Simple Address Sign

Scenario: About a month ago tile numbers fell down and broke. Of course, it was not a top priority to get new ones. Many others things take precedent in our busy family! However  local FedEx and UPS drivers were not happy with us. Lets such say some were NOT VERY FRIENDLY. "Umm were are your numbers?"... "I could not see any house numbers!?"... "Do you know you have missing numbers?"
We laughed it off, but realized they are just doing their jobs.  Geez.. don't get so angry though! To appease them Lydia and I made these beautiful signs on a whim.  I love them!
It was after I got up our new homemade signs, I realized (DUH!) the important of having them.  Even though we only live two blocks from the hospital, seconds do count in emergency situations.

( I was not able to find any law on the internet regarding visible address signs.  Maybe you can do a google search and tell me what you find.)  

I did find this quote from a Fire Department website in Oregon.  They offered free installations on reflective signs.

"Do I really need one of these address signs? My house already has numbers on it.
To find out, drive or walk up and down the street in front of your house. Put yourself in the
position of a rescuer that's racing to your house in a life or death situation. Can your address be seen clearly and easily from the street, at a distance, and especially at night? Statistics indicate that Emergency Services receive millions of phone calls per year for emergencies and accidents that occur at home. Rescue personnel will tell you that finding the home is the hardest part. Wasted minutes and seconds can mean all the difference. If you have numbers that can't be seen or are small, peeling, falling off, faded, etc. then the answer is YES, I need a new address sign.
Help yourself and your community by making sure your home can be found easily and quickly. At the very least, your pizza will always be hot!"

Needless to say our local mail carriers will be very happy with us :) They are VERY VISIBLE. And to my joy: COVER UP THE DOORBELL! hehe

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails