Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Homesick

Mary's Peak Corvallis, OR

It has officially hit me. I am trying my best not to speak of the subject too much (especially around the kids).  Fall is my favorite time of year. I remember last year running downtown to meet my family at the library, breathing in the cold wet air, and admiring all the beautiful trees. Oh all the familiars. Library... Beanery... Parks.... Grandparents...(((((Deep Breath))))) Hold back the tears JuRita.

The emotions of yet another life change have caught up with me and I have to verbally tell my self to keep my eyes on the Lord. Every day. Today it rained which helped.

For the past two weeks it has been warm here in North Carolina (average 80 degrees), but the mosquitos are overly vicious. When walking to the van  (no running I should say!) they swarm by everyones face like crazy. Then, before we pull away we kill any that managed to get inside. I have felt trapped indoors all while living on an acre..... IN OCTOBER! ERG.

Last night we tried to fog our deck, put on spray, and lite a Citronella candle. It was a beautiful 10 minutes with Sean and Lydia.  I got bit about 5 times. What in the world do they do in Africa??? I am sure they don't complain.

I guess since we moved to NC they have had worst heat and hurricane. Our family is praying for the worst winter yet. If not, we still have plans to visit my family in Chicago for some "cold" weather.

Can I have one last complaint? We don't live in the most "family" friendly community. Most events are geared to the elderly or retired folk. Drive about two hours we could find all kinds of museums, farms, zoos, ect.  They do have an aquarium here.. we are saving that for Elizabeths bday.

So, I am trying. I am doing the best I can to make things fun for the kids. They are at a house church tonight while I am at home with baby. Praise the Lord they are meeting new friends. Praise the Lord He is putting more of a yearning in me for heaven! I am learning to be content no matter what "state" I am in...

It may take a couple of years for this to feel like home, but I know someday it will. Good news, we are getting 25 chicken next month. Yes, my husband ordered them and 5 are meat chickens. :-/  And hopefully this winter we are going to get my sisters dog Bekah. The Buckout's little farm.

Thanks for listening. I knew I needed it off my chest.

Enjoy all the cool air, warm coffee, and beautiful trees for me. PLEASE!

Love,


pictures from years past..



7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're homesick JuRita!

    Do you think the mosquito problem is just typical for NC, or do you think it's worse at your house because no one lived there before so they weren't being controlled properly? Maybe if you guys can remove standing water all over the property, they will die over the winter and next summer will be better. Ugh, that sucks in the meantime though. Maybe you'll just have to invest in a screened patio so at least you can be outside.

    Thinking good thoughts for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I with ya sister!! John is homesick BIG time! I have heard Basil is a great natural mosquito repellent, maybe have plants of it around the exterior of the house or yes as Robin mentioned screen in the porch. They also make those Tiki torches that you can light and set around the perimeter of where you are. Sorry friend. We are trying to plan our visit to my dad's so hopefully we'll be able to see you then!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is very hard. i'm actually crying right now for you. please know that you are specifically in my heart and prayers. keep sharing your struggle, it makes us all stronger in faith. all my love~jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you friends. Your comments mean the world to me.. even via internet. Yes, the misquito problem is everywhere and because our county spent the money on hurricane relief there was not any left for spraying. Our old neighborhood is actually worse than out here in the sticks.

    I love the idea of a screen in porch. Sound delightful. When we have the money any building though will have to be to "adding on" with another big room or bedrooms.

    I know he hears your prayers. I sat in my bedroom this morning with the window open and it was the coldest air I have felt in a long time. (smiles).

    Beka, it would be so awesome to see you and John. To think of actually hanging out with a couple we know!!!! All in due time. I am going to try my best to call you. ;)

    Jen, you are so sweet and made me tear up. I can not thank you enough for praying. I love the fact that I have not seen you in years, but you will always will remain a true friend in Christ. I still have a note in the front of my bible you gave me back in 1998! I would love to give you a big hug. Praying and delighting with you as you venture back to the west coast...

    Much love to you all you gals and your families. Have a beautiful day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I know exactly what you mean J. I at least have family familiar faces here to see, but I crave true friendships! I know they can take years to form so I am trying to be patient.
    We really want to screen in our carport. We looked at the materials at Lowe's and its pretty reasonable to do it yourself.
    It is very nice weather here today too, I was actually shivering this morning while pumping gas (sheesh have to pump my own gas here lol ;)
    Love ya friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JuRita, It is refreshing to hear someone be so honest. Thanks for your revealing your heart, thoughts and struggles. It just makes you more human in your posts : ) I can also tell how you are doing great still. You have your family and are expecting another. God blessed Sean with a job and your family with a house! You get to spend mucho time with your wonderful kids and grow in your walk with God minute by minute. I have one complaint about Corvallis...It seems EVERYONE moves away from here!! First Diana Nixon family moved, then Bekah, then Buckout family, then our good friends the Rautenkrantz, and now the LEE family is moving!! Crazy people!! I hope you all move back too!! Praying for you. Love, MOnica Shaw

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how you feel JuRita! I have noticed that at around 3 months at a new place (be it (even in the same area), Gresham, Troutdale, Portland, Welches, South Korea, or Germany). The third month there is always the most difficult. I get super depressed and life just sucks.

    But I quickly get out of it by realizing where I am. What is available, and the new things I am learning and experiencing. I am super thankful to be living in a new country (area) and meeting new people! :)

    I am sure the homesickness will fade, but never go away. I miss Oregon like crazy, and family too. But it will just make it all that much more special when we get to visit. Unfortunately, as long as Dan is in the Army, I know we will never get to live there, but at least VISIT! :)

    Maybe sometime in the future, we'll live near NC and get to visit you on your little Buckout Farm. The kids should really love gathering eggs, and taking care of those chickens! :) I had always wanted a chicken of my own!

    Just stay busy JuRita! I know you're busy with your kiddos, but don't forget to have some Momma time too! :)

    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails