Thursday, January 12, 2012

Trials and Rest

"Reckon it nothing but joy...whenever you find yourself hedged in by the various trials, be assured that the testing of your faith leads to power of endurance. (James 1:2-3 Wehmouth)


God hedges in His own that He may preserve them, but oftentimes they only see the wrong side of the hedge, and so misunderstand His dealings.  It was so with Job (Job 3:23). Ah, but Satan knew the value of that hedge!  See his testimony in chapter 1:10. Through the leaves of every trial there are chinks of light to shine through. Thorns do not prick you unless you lean against them, and not one touches without His knowledge. The words that hurt you, the letter with gave you pain, the cruel would of your dearest friend, shortness of money--- they are all known to Him, who sympathizes as none else can and watches to see, if, though all, you will dare to trust Him wholly."    Streams in the Desert 1947, January 12th.


It has been over one month since we left North Carolina. If I had any foreknowledge to what trials were ahead: I doubt, because I am selfish by nature, I would have not come.

But our hope remains steadfast in God.

I hit a very low point and could not understand why God was silent. My faith was stretched in ways like never before. My trust in Him was exhausted. I feared each day. Every evening I was weary. Sleep was a blessing because it allowed me to "forget" my circumstances. Even our marriage was put to the test, especially when I took my anger out on Sean.

Each time we were literally at a breaking point, God sustained us. Usually the following day we heard some type of "rental opportunity" that would carry us to the next after that door closed. After about a month of living in a suitcase and not knowing where my home was going to be He opened the door. He will never leave nor forsake us, but I did fear the worst. Sean likened the feeling to what persecuted christians must feel. They want it to end, but it doesn't. Prayer and the word of God become their stronghold. Nothing else.

So where did we land? A very sweet family is let us rent an apartment above their garage, which is lovely and warm. It will also finically help us to get back on our feet.

God is keeping us humble and reminding us of our desire to simplify.  There is a reason I we did not end up in a huge 1800 sq ft plus home. Really, how much space to we American families need? We have a beautiful 900-1000 sq ft home with three rooms (not including the bathroom!) One great room which is the kitchen, living, and homeschool room. One parent room and one kid room.  :-) ... I am looking forward to showing you the bunkbeds Sean made to accommodate 5 kids!  Some may think we are crazy, but after you feel or are homeless for weeks you are happy to have a place to call your "own". We are in no rush to leave, neither are our landlords. :) The kids have a huge hard to play in and mom has gorgeous rolling hills to enjoy.

We actually managed to get out our homeschool this week... praise the Lord!
I started Mordecai's baby blanket and a new book.
Made play dough with Jason and Elizabeth today and read to the kids at lunch time.
I am so thankful just to enjoy the simple rest of being "home" with my kids again.

Many times over this past month I read and re-read 2 Chronicles 20. It is a beautiful chapter that kept me looking to Jesus..

Thank you all for your many many prayers, love and support. We love you.

"Then the realm of Jehoshaphat was quiet, for his God gave him rest all around. 2 Chron. 20:30


6 comments:

  1. Aw...so blessed you are settling a bit. We are rejoicing with you! <3 Love you guys so much. Can't wait to see those bunk beds - I bet they are awesome! {Visions from college are coming back of 3 and 4 bed high bunk beds!} :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horray!!! I'm glad you have a place to call home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "yea tho I walk through the valley of darkness
    I have no fear, I won't pitch a tent
    I'll say a prayer
    and move on out of here!

    Glad to hear you found a place to park!

    ReplyDelete

i love hearing from you! have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails