Sunday, September 23, 2012

{just a glimpse} Mercy Triumphs- Week Two


I am still pressing on. His word does not return void.
My heart is not to make this yet another check off my "to do" list and feel proud because I accomplished something. Writing out the book of James, taking to heart each word of this study and pondering its application -personally is challenging me.

Here are a few thoughts from this week:
"Consider it joy when you fall into various trials..." really?
As Beth put it, "(trials) can strip us, beat us up, abandon us, and leave us half dead.." Then she asked us to identify the pressing personal trial in our lives today.
It is hard to write. Honestly it is my home. Our family longs to have more space.
We are more than grateful of God's provision and a thankful for the gracious family who has opened their home, but after 16-17 moves.. my heart longs for rest. If you have read my blog (or this guest post) or know me personally, this is an on going "trial" in my life..

BUT
this week I got a glimpse of understanding.
A glimpse of His purpose in it all.

"If anyone lacks wisdom, let him ask God who gives to all liberally without reproach.."
How healthy it is to ask for wisdom! Asking for wisdom in bigger trials even down to "oh, lord what should i make for dinner?" It has helped me this week for sure.

I have struggled with understanding the changes that have taken place in our life these past 2 years.
Reality is I am learning the true value of richness in CHRIST.  I am reminded so often how little our brothers and sisters in Africa materially have and yet I choose to complain over trying to stay organized in such a small space! Lord, let me have the beautiful wisdom of seeking first the kingdom of God!! .. and all these things shall be added.

Just a glimpse ..that there is no need to desire to be rich. There is no need to want a perfect house here on earth. ".. so the rich man will fade away in his pursuits"
But the next verse: "blessed is the man who endures temptation.."
Oh, the temptation to want a home of my 'own'! (But Lord, we own one in NC!) To wanting a second bathroom! To wanting a linen closet! To wanting a garden of my own to cultivate for years! To WANTING TO KNOW what is next in my life.

I have Christ. I have a husband. I have six beautiful children.. "every good and perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of Lights.."
I am starting to see what those good gifts are.... and understanding good gifts can come in the form of trials. If we only wait to see the unfolding of His hand.

There was eye opening activity  in this study:  divide my age by four and within each 8 year time slot (yes, I am 32!) write down what "gifts" God has given. Many of the experiences I wrote in those years were major trials... now they are gifts.

Just a glimpse Lord that soon this season will be yet another gift. Thank you for wisdom. Thank you for moments of peace. Let me slow down and listen to you more. Amen.


Looking forward to reading what blessed you this week!







8 comments:

  1. So very true!! I too get dissatisfied with our small home and long for more space for our kids to roam about outdoors, but the reality is that we are SO VERY blessed. Thx for that reminder ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too struggle with the dissatisfaction of what i have in the "now"... i got married in March & my husband and i lived in a spare bedroom in a friend of his house for a month until he was deployed and borrowed one of this vehicles (which was a huge blessing!) and then when he deployed i flew back to New England and lived with my dad, which was good... but not my own home... and now I am currently living with my sister and her family being their "nanny" until Henry gets home... how i LONG to nest in Henry & i's own space... BUT, i am intentionally going to be counting my blessings each day that I am here in South Carolina. my nieces are such a joy and blessing to me... so each day i have the assurance of Jesus & salvation, and the two little blessings of life that are whitney and brooklyn. :) & a husband who truly cherishes me even from afar... a home for us will be nice, but i am learning to be content here and now and not losing todays blessings in my worry of tomorrow/the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our anniversary is in March too! (of course on Spring Break so if we go anywhere to celebrate it.. we have to plan it not on the actually day bc everything is booked!ha!) anyways, it is a blessing you have your family, but I can completely understand wanting your own home. we lived in NC for awhile last year.. do you know where you and your hubby will make a home?

      Delete
  3. thank you so much for sharing :) you definitely got me thinking some more! :) xo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that exercise to divide up my life was incredible. And what I found amazing was counting the gifts and then remembering the trials in each season. I was humbled and amazed at the gifts, even in the hard times, I guess I had never thought about comparing the two.

    I'm really excited for this weeks study, I have a feeling it will be a doozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. a doozy within the first few words! Looking forward to it too Gina!:D

      Delete
  5. Thanks for reaching out! We'd love to get to know your family and your kids.

    We are having a birthday party at tomorrow at 2 at Philomath City Park for my (almost) 5 year old daughter. We'd love to have you guys meet us there.

    Please feel comfortable coming. We don't have many friends yet, and our parties are very casual things. We'll eat cupcakes, and play on the playground. So you don't have to feel like party crashers.

    We're excited to meet you!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails