Sunday, November 3, 2013

Lice and Public School

Little did we know...

I hate the word: LICE.
It sounds disgusting and invasive. All I can picture is the thought of little white bugs in someones hair. I had never seen it before and NOW never want to see it again. At least it is not "white" so to speak.

About 3-4 weeks ago, Jason's first grade class gave parents a letter stating a student had been sent home because of a lice problem. "Oh, dear.." I thought. Of course I checked him right away and politely reminded him not to interact closely with this child. (He knew who it was.) After getting rid of a three week nose throat sickness, I though I might just be done with this public school journey once again!

Unfortunately, Elizabeth was the one it landed on. Whether it was from her class or his- It entered in our home. Thinking I had checked throughly (which I did that day) weeks went on and I had no clue.

Only till the day after Halloween did I notice. Hadassah had been not sleeping well (getting in bed with us), itching her head (also her legs, so i didn't think much), but ended up having dreadlocks in her curly hair for three morning in a row. DUH!!!!

Denial keeps one from thinking it will happen in their clean home. I am not perfectly organized and we do live in a small home, but I find it a relatively clean home for having six kids. The word lice is associated with uncleanness but reality- anyone can get it.

The lineup-
Elizabeth was the worst.
Hadassah was right their with her.
Elijah and Mordecai and just started.
Lydia barely any..
and Jason, Sean and I none!

Oh my GOODNESS.
What I wanted to be a day of rest on Friday (I had let them stay home from school -thank the Lord!), was spent washing every piece of bedding we own in scalding hot water. I did a full treatment on everyone, combing every bug and nit I could find. Can I say repulsive??!!! The girls took about an hour a piece. I even bought new pillows and hair brushes for everyone, except won't use them till I know it is out of the house. It was the longest cleaning day ever.

As my dear friend Jen said when her kids got it, "their heads have never been so clean!" (btw-I almost called you Jen!)
Saturday morning I did two more combings with a homeopathic product I found. It can be used daily and will be.

It was one of the most taxing, exhausting days I've had since moving. But this Mama did everything and is still doing everything to rid the sight of it. The hardest part- Mordecai got his first hair cut :(
I loved that full head of blonde hair!!! We keep saying he looks like a little "Bruiser" now. All the boys have a brand new buzz cut.

Today, Sean is back at class. I am almost done with every piece of laundry. I have been washing pillow cases and sheets every morning, along with any used towels. Hadassah and Elizabeth's hair is getting better each day. It takes dedication and time. Combing and combing.

My thoughts- will other parents go to this extent? Will they even check their children? Will my kids come with it again? I am going to be checking their heads like a crazy woman every day.

Can I finish out this school year??? And I thought my next blog was going to be how exhausted my kids were from public school. ;) Tomorrow we get to let the school know what as happened. Yay.

Pray for complete healing in our home.

Humbled,

6 comments:

  1. I had lice so many times in Elementary school, it's just a fact of life. But as the kids get older it will be less and less frequent. I believe I only ever had it in elementary. Anytime I read, hear, or think the word Lice, I itch... It's terrible. But, it's not that any one person is "gross" or doesn't take care of their kid. They're nasty little buggers and are so easy to transfer. Just remind the kids not to share clothing, coats, hair ties, etc etc with anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you poor thing! I hate lice just like you. I worked in early child care and had to do checkes yuck. If you put a couple of drops of tea-tree-oil in there shampo it keep lice a way. They don't like the smell. I put it in mine and my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually clean heads are a playground for lice...they don't like blow dryers, hair products, and hairspray either. That's one reason older kids and adults don't get them, is because they tend to do more stuff to their hair. Although, a couple years ago when Isabel got lice she was sleeping in my bed a lot and gave it to me. I nearly wanted to go insane when I could literally feel them crawling around on my head in the middle of the night!! I have a friend who never had lice in elem. school and she's pretty sure it was because her mom blow dried her hair every morning. The staff at the school also say to put coats and hats inside your bag when you take them off, instead of hanging on a hook next to the other kids' stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather! I have learned the same thing through this episode. Elizabeth class has cubby holes (small closet size) where they hang their coats. They have even sat and read books in them. They recently changed cubby holes which could have led to her getting it. As of now, we are in the clear but I am taking every precaution. I didn't do a comb through last night but will tonight to make sure. I plan on blow drying her hair more often now. I was happy that the school did check her entire class and found another girl who had it REALLY bad. I just don't want to ever see it in my home again.

      Delete
  4. Jurita, we have been battling lice for 3 months on and off now. The boy are easy, but Lizzie has very long hair. I can't persuade her to cut it ('my face it too round'). I tried everything there is to try (haven't come across homeopathic treatment you mention perhaps). Turns out there are a lot of myths about lice. I picked up a herbal treatment which came with a comb and a leaflet. Our metal sturdy brush I was so pleased with is no good (apparently the plastic are the best). Also, lice feed on blood from the head, so the minute they fall out, they can't survive. The leaflet said that washing everything with hot water is not necessary! I must admit the lice trial is so time consuming, a shame to waste it on looking for lice rather than reading or whatever else we could be doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I am so sorry to hear you are dealing with it for so long! The name of the "natural" product was "LiceFreee Spray!" I found it at Walmart here but I am sure you can buy it online. After our gel treatments (Nix Brand, which worked but fried our scalps) using the Tea Tree oil daily in the shampoo as really helped. I really like the medal comb too and we seem to be free all the buggers for that past week. I comb the girls hair every night with the comb, even pulling eggs out with my fingers if I had to. The washing does make me feel better or just putting the pillow cases in heat. I fear the little sick bugs do last awhile (I read up to 24 hours) because when brushed out my hair I found two living ones in the sink .. and they were not dying immediately. Disgusting! So far we are done with it but I am being very cautious, checking the girls (and myself) frequently. I will be praying over your family for relief! Please give me an update and how it is going.

      Delete

i love hearing from you! have a blessed day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails